Friday 9 October 2009

Week 1

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the piece of stone before I started. These pictures were actually taken at the beginning of week 2 of the course as I didn't have my camera with me the 1st week.
We were asked to look at the piece of stone from all angles before we did anything and see if it suggested anything to us (real or surreal). It immediately suggested a shape from nature to me which hopefully will be recognisable as I work on it.

I had cut out 1 large piece of the stone with a saw at this stage but placed it back just for the photo. I had also experimented using the chisel on the back.



It is (apparently) a piece of white English alabaster weighing about 7Kg.


Quite a soft stone.




Just in the edge of the picture here is the maquette I made out of clay before starting on the stone. This was made by cutting a lump of clay approximately the same shape as the piece of stone (but smaller). I should take some seperate photos of the maquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment